Get Ready for
Christmas.
Your birthday has
passed. We are now preparing for Christmas.
I have spent many hours
in the past wondering what people think, what people feel. I don't
much these days anymore because unless they have a Christmas Tree
with no gifts for their child sitting underneath, unless they have
ideas of gifts that they could have bought for their child,unless
they are planning an alternative Christmas for the festive season
when all of the family should be together but it would be too
hard...then they just don't understand. They don't. Even if they
try, they don't..can't.
For the second year in
a row we are facing a Christmas without our son. We are buying gifts
for each other, and also to each other, from him. This isn't how
life should be. This isn't the dream I had.
I spent so many hours
in my childhood dreaming that I would marry my prince, and we would
live happily ever after in a house that was full of our children,
full of laughter, full of playfighting and of arguments, full of
gifts to exchange at Christmas, not just at Birthdays...but instead I
have a grave to visit and a space in my garden where I remember the
other 3 babies that we have said goodbye to.
I am increasingly
seeing facebook and twitter posts discussing how wonderful family
life is. The exchanging of presents. Making plans. Discussing just
how much fun the festive period is going to be.
Not for us. Not for so
many people that I know.
Then I look at the
other posts. The ones written by parents who have been forced to say
goodbye to their child or children, parents who have and maybe never
will, bring a child into this world, or have managed to, only to say
goodbye to them in the end. I see, feel, acknowledge the hurt, the
pain, the unfairness. Because I understand. This is my life too.
My childhood dream of
being a Mummy was so very different from this. My immature ideal of
being a parent wasn't tending to a grave, it was tending to snotty
noses, dirty bums, children who were hungry and relied on me, had
arguments and needed me to help solve it. The reality is very
different for me though, and so many others that I know. It is so so
so sad. There is no reason that they should be without their
children either, they never caused this, but yet.............here we
are. While everyone else lives happily ever after. (it seems).
I am caught between my
conscience and real life. I am a mum. I have a son. But where is
he?
So many others ask
themselves the same question. Society seems to ask the same
question. To be without your child seems to make you less of a
parent? But, we aren't. Regardless what age they left, they are
ours.
I think about my life
now, compared to how I was. I don't crave another child anymore. I
don't seek that little person to fulfill my dreams and complete my
life. I no longer want to invest all of my energies into making life
so very different for one more little creation. I am spent. I am
broken. I am lost. I see no reason for anything anymore. I no
longer want another child .. a child who would now feel they would
have to live up the memory of that boy that they never knew but yet
should admire for his courage. That child who they would be visiting
with us, even thought they don't know who they are. That child who
was our dream and yet our heartbreak, and then that child came along
to ease some of that pain. It wouldn't. I know that wouldn't happen
for us, because I have lived it. We had our rainbow and now he is in
the sky too.
I know that not
everyone feels the same way that I do, and I totally respect that. I
would never tell another person not to try again because we are all
very different. But having Haydon, and then losing him nearly 16
weeks later has taught me that no other child would compare, no other
child would ever fill that empty space that he left, no other child
would be completely loved without reservation because we know how
much it hurts if they ever have to leave so we would be guarded now.
That isn't fair, on them, or us.
Because my energies are
used up on him, even yet. Haydon. The boy who made it through so
much to try and be with us, after a series of losses before. The boy
who had a sparkle in his eye and a charm in his smile. The boy who
stole our hearts and destroyed the life that we knew without meaning
to.
I no longer want the
house with the sound of several children, because his voice will
always be missing. I am now barely caring for myself. Unless I am at
work, and my needs are secondary there – those kids would always be
cared for because I understand, I do.
Life is meant to ease
the heartache but it hasn't. Time is meant to heal some of the open
wounds, but it hasn't. Love is meant to make everything better, but
it won't ever do that.
Instead I will look at
my Christmas Tree and imagine all of his gifts there. I will picture
how my life should have been, not how it is. I will imagine how my
husband didn't do nightshift this year because our son was getting so
excited for Christmas and he didn't want to miss it. I will think of
wrapping up all of the gifts we chose especially for him and how we
would have prepared them all for Santa. I will think of how everyone
else I know gets a proportion of the life they dreamt of, except us.
Some may call this self
pity. Some may call this realism, and others may call this healing.
Personally I call this
'my life'. No escape, no rescue, no fix,...just heartache and broken
dreams.
I dreamt of having my
son. I dreamt of calling him Haydon. It happened. I never dreamt
that I would ever have to let him go again.
I miss the dream I had,
as much as I miss my son in my arms. But nothing can change that
now. My dream has gone, along with the precious boy that we tried so
hard for, tried so hard to keep.
We miss you Haydon.
You were, are, and always will be our everything, and even although
you aren't here...you still steer our festivities for us, because you
ARE our son, for always.
We miss you. We just
do.
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:
Post a Comment