I am a Mummy to the most beautiful little boy who ever lived. He was courageous and he was strong, but he was the love of my life and he is missed every day. This blog is my grief outlet. I can't and won't make apologies if any blogs upset others because this journey is real. Living without your child is the hardest thing in the world to do. It NEVER gets easier.
Thursday, 26 July 2012
Is there a trigger...or is the trigger 'you'?
It's now 2 weeks since I started that dreaded prescription, the pill that held the promise of helping me to cope with losing my son. If you had asked me 2 weeks ago if this pill would help, I would have said 'doubtful', but ask me today and I would reply 'I think it does'.
Particularly the last 2 weeks I have been able to get myself out the house more, I have walked my dogs further on my own, I have started new 'groups' and am re-starting others.
I have began to make contact with people whom I had difficulty contacting before. Still don't feel able or strong enough to contact work, but that will be a different hurdle to jump.
In the last 2 weeks, I have re-entered 'life', I have taken steps to introduce myself to new people as me, 'Helz', not just 'that woman who has lost her son'....as much as Haydon is still in my brain 24/7, I am a little more able to communicate with people than I was 2 weeks ago.
Is that natural healing, or is this pill induced? I would probably select the latter as an explanation, but who knows.
I have had moments in the last 2 weeks that have been almost 'happy', almost 'enjoyable', I have come home after these moments and felt a sense of achievement. I have faced some 'new' fears, I have been 'stronger'.
I have attended church and been surrounded by lots of people in one go, I coped, I wouldn't have coped with that a few weeks ago.
I have made steps to look at headstones. I still struggle with this, with the idea of my son's name being on stone, but I am coping.
I have had the dogs home everyday for 2 weeks now. I had to make a decision about risking their long term health and having them home part time only, or getting them home and properly managing their food intake and their walks. I chose the latter. This is also a change.
I have been invited to a child's birthday part next weekend. Will I be strong enough?
I have been invited to a wedding anniversary celebration party? Will I go?
At the moment, my answer would probably be no. I feel I have stepped forward enough times for a week. I am moving forward, but I am not moving too quickly.
I have faced 2 milestones in the last week. My son would have been 7 months. I have now lost him longer than I had him in my arms. Those were massive, huge, ginormous hurdles, and although I was very low on a couple of those days...I am still here. I didn't beg to be with Haydon. That too is different.
This week has been busy, well busier than my weeks usually are. Part of me feels like I arranged too much, but the other part of me feels proud that I have faced the world so much in a week. I am being selective about what I do and where I go, and also who will be with me/meeting me. I am not ready for 'everyone', but I can do some people. That is a huge change, and although I may fear situations like this now, I will try to go. I will try to be strong enough. I hope this continues.
I am going to Zumba tonight. I haven't been to Zumba since I was pregnant with Haydon. I used to be a Zumba addict. I am going to a class that is further away from my usual group. My friend who is the Zumba instructor is picking me up and taking me along with her. I thank her for encouraging me to return back to something that was 'me', something I enjoyed. I am already nervous at the thought of it. I have already questioned her about what songs we will be dancing to, so I don't get a fright when or if a Haydon song comes on. She will look after me, and so will mini-me, who is going along with me to hold my hand.
Today though, what has happened? Why is it today that I am having a really teary day? Why am I crying and finding it hard to stop? Has there been a trigger? Has something happened to make me feel Haydon's loss more today than yesterday?
I think the truthful answer is 'no'. It's just one of those days.
One of those days where every thing reminds me of my son. One of those days where I hear his songs and I cry. One of those days where I need to smell his clothes and feel the comfort of that scent. One of those days where the agony is massive and the day is a challenge. One of those days where I miss the touch of him, the sound of him.
My lovely husband has just called to say he's on his way home from work to give me a big hug. He understands how I am today, because he feels these days too.
One of those days where we miss him. Miss our Haydon. Miss our son.
I always miss him, but I've come to realise that the pills have helped me to cope. I have come to realise that the agonies I saw him suffer still hurt enormously, but are more bearable. I have a crutch now, where I never needed one before. I worry about this.
I miss you bubba, I really really do. I love you bubba, I just really really do.
Come visit me and Dad soon <3 xxxxxx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am happy to hear that you have had some relief with the medication. You are living through a tragic event in your life and I know there will always be triggers. Also, as a woman I find I have days where I cry reading posts and others when I don't. I am glad your husband is so supportive. Here is a ((HUG)) from me!
ReplyDeleteThank you Debby xx Thank you also for the beautiful handkerchief that arrived this morning xx perfect timing for it today <3 xx
ReplyDelete