Wednesday, 28 November 2012

Aunty Amanda Misses You Too, Bubba xx

(Aunty Amanda is Mummy's Cousin)


Well Haydon, sorry it took so long to write to you but as you know I have had a house full of invalids, thank you for your white feather to make me feel better :)

I thought I would start with when I found out your mummy & daddy were having you. I was so pleased for them both but very anxious at the same time, due to all the heartache they had felt before. I didn't contact mummy much throughout her pregnancy, not out of badness just I was expecting at the same time & I didn't want to push my pregnancy in your mummies face as she was having all sorts of issues with her health, however, I was always asking aunty Moira for updates. You've probably worked out by now but your granny & aunty Moira talk for hours on the phone every week.

When I found out that you were going to have Down syndrome, initially I thought oh no not another hurdle for your mummy, then straight away thought well if anyone can overcome any hurdle, it's your mummy as she's had to do it all her life. So as your pregnancy progressed and you were getting bigger & bigger, we were all hoping you would stay safe in your mummy’s tummy for as long as possible as that was the best place for you.

Your granny kept saying that your mummy & I would be in beds next to each other pulling our Xmas crackers at Xmas time having both our babies at the same time. I didn't want this, not out of badness, just out of worry. As it would mean that you would be so premature & you mummy deserved for you to be in her tummy for as long as possible.

When I got the phone call to say that your mummy was admitted due to her health deteriorating & that she needed to stay in until she had you, I became worried for you both. There was me at full term & only had my SPD to worry about, what must your mummy be feeling? Everyday 1st thing I would call your aunty Moira, any news? Your granny came to see me on the Saturday before you were born. We were sitting chatting & again she kept saying we'll be sitting pulling our crackers together & all I kept thinking was Oh no but your too early. I was actually hoping not to see your mummy, again not out of badness just didn't want to rub her nose in it that I was full term & faced (hopefully) no complications while no-one knew what lay ahead for her or you.

On the Tuesday I was booked in to be induced and ended up in the same ward as your mummy just around the corner from her, after a day of delays, I finally managed to pop round & see her & she was holding up ok, just really worried & unsure what the next few hours/days would hold for her & you. Your daddy was shattered too, he was running back & forward between work, home & hospital.

On the Wednesday morning your mummy text me to say that she was going down for her checks & would pop into see me on her way back to her room. She came to see me & looked terrified & said it looks like our babies will be born on the same day as she was having a section that afternoon after 2pm but she asked me not to say to anyone back home until she knew that everything was ok with you. We text most of the day back & forward but then I heard nothing from her. Was she still in her room? Was she is theatre? Had you been born? The waiting was horrible.

I eventually got moved to the labour suite at 8pm but couldn’t stop thinking about you, your mummy & your daddy. What was happening? Were you all ok? The mid wife kept telling me to put my phone down & concentrate on my own labour but I couldn't. I needed to know you were all ok. I finally got that text at 11.25 saying you were born crying, I cried for you, for your mummy & for your daddy. We knew it would be a struggle for you etc but you were here & safe & that was the best news. I then put down my phone & concentrated on my own labour after that :)

Ollie was born just over 3 hours later & I text your mummy straight away to let her know you were a big cousin at only a few hours old. I got a text from your mummy just after 7 I think apologising, she was so caught up in the arrival of you that she told everyone on FB about Ollie before me. I didn't bother though, your mummy had every right to feel the way she did, as she had waited long enough for that moment.

Over the next few days, your mummy & daddy spent every second they could visiting you. I was in the same hospital but unfortunately I wasn't allowed to meet you yet. I kept popping along to see your mummy & she would be using her milking machine, giving you the best right from the start. I have attached a picture of her that I took so you can see how happy she was doing that for you.



Over the next few weeks I'd hear how well you were doing from aunty Moira, aunty Fiona or when I text your mummy. You were being so brave & strong, a right little fighter. It's no wonder you earned your nickname of mummies little Super hero as that is exactly what you were.

You eventually got home, way earlier than anyone expected, how fantastic! Your mummy didn't want people to come to visit you for the first week, to give family & the professional’s time to visit you but said we were welcome to come & meet you the next week. It was arranged that we were coming to meet you on the Mon or Tuesday night, sadly you were rushed back into hospital by then so sadly I never got my chance to give you that cuddle I had been so eagerly waiting to give you.

Over the next few weeks I never text your mummy much as your granny was updating aunty Moira & she was letting everyone know how you were. I talked about you all the time to Ollie, how special you were & how brave you were being in hospital. I remember Ollie got his 1st set of jags & he had a reaction & cried for hours. I sat holding him & the tears were flooding down my face, I couldn't stop crying, not for Ollie but for you & for your mummy. It was only his jags that made him unwell for a few hours but what you had already gone through & were still to go through was heart-breaking. Also, your poor mummy, I felt helpless as I couldn't stop his pain for they few hours, what must your mummy be going through? Having witnessed everything she had up until that point. Every time I thought of you both the tears would flow again.

This happened regularly over the next few weeks. I could be sitting feeding him & would cry as you were both robbed of that chance to experience that. When putting him down to sleep at night in his own bed, your mummy & daddy only got the chance to do that for a week. When he was lying on his play mat, all you were getting to lie on was your cot. There were loads of times & every time it was the same, uncontrollable tears for you & your mummy.

As I’ve said already, I didn't often text your mummy as she had enough to deal with, as long as your granny was passing on my thoughts that was all that mattered but this day I got up & couldn't get myself motivated or dressed & felt I had to text your mummy to see how her little Super Hero was doing? It was the 2nd April, you were away having your CT scan. Your mummy was being so positive, you were super human as she said, still struggling on after every ting you had been through. By that time you had been through more in your tiny little life than most people go through in a life time. I was telling your mummy how I couldn't wait until you were better so I could finally get my cuddle.

The next day your aunty Moira came to see me to tell me the devastating news. How could this be, your mummy was just telling me the day before how well you were doing. There must be a mistake, there has to be. I like most of the family were numb the whole day. Praying for a miracle. Your Uncle James sister went to Chapel & lit a candle for you & said a prayer too. Everyone was so touched by your bravery so far, there had to be something they could do, there just had to be.

I was asked to drive up to your grannies the following day with your aunty Moira’s Christening robe as your mummy & daddy wanted you baptised as soon as they could. It was so sad handing it over to your granny, as it shouldn't have been happening. I truly do not know how I managed to drive home as I could not see through the tears.

On the Thursday, again I cried & held Ollie so close the whole day. You, your mummy & your daddy should not be going through this. You were a fighter, you were a Super Hero, and there must be something they can do?

On the Friday morning about 5am, I woke & picked Ollie up out his bed, I don't know why I did this as I had never done it before but I just needed him close to me. Uncle James was going to put him back in his bed when he went to work but I wouldn't let him, I couldn't explain it, I just needed him close. When you aunty Moira called to give me the devastating news I went numb, Why? Why? Why? Life is so unfair.

Your aunty Moira wanted to be with your granny that day, especially after the news of what had happened to your poor granddad. Uncle James came home from his work early & I drove aunty Moira up to sit with granny & ended up sitting myself for about 2-3 hours. Your granny needed the company & support too.

The following day, we got a text saying we were all welcome at the parlour to say our goodbyes to you. How could I say goodbye when I hadn’t even had the chance to say hello. I wanted to come & see you but I was terrified at the same time. It shouldn't be happening, how could I see your mummy again when the last time I saw her was when both our boys were born? I'm glad I had the chance to come & meet you. You were perfect. Absolutely perfect. Again I found myself asking why? Why? Why?

I went home & Ollie was supposed to be going into his own room that night but I couldn't, how could I leave him in another room all night when all I could think about was you & how precious you both were? From that night on & every night until I started to put him down awake I would put him down asleep, kiss his cheek & stand & watch him for a second, remembering you lying in your mosses basket, so peaceful, so beautiful.

Your funeral was so sad & moving. Your mummy & daddy being so brave, how they got through the day never mind the service I'll never know. They have been through more than any mummy & daddy should go through. Life truly isn't fair.

Since then I have been very conscious & very aware of how your mummy must be feeling & have tried so hard to protect her from as much as I can but I’m sure I’ve slipped up along the way & upset her not meaning too, I hope you were close to comfort her if I did.

As you know I speak about you most days to Ollie, it is very important to me that he grows up knowing all about his brave big cousin. I haven't managed to get the photo of you printed yet but I know now what one I'm going to. The one of you wearing your Mr Strong outfit as that was a truly fitting outfit for you. I have a frame here for it & I'll need to speak to your mummy as I meant to ask that if she had any moulds left, I would like one to put beside your photo.

Because of what happened to you in your little brave life, it has changed the way I brought up Ollie from the way I brought up Trudie & Kieran. I'm not saying that I took Trudie & Kieran for granted but to a certain extent I took their health & their presence for granted, this was what happened to everyone I thought. How wrong could I be? Loosing you Haydon has made me realise that life is so precious & babies are gifts & nothing can be taken for granted.

I decided not to go back to work again because of you, I never actually felt strong enough to put Ollie through to his own room until 2 weeks ago, again because of you & as you know I found out recently that I was pregnant again, I was in shock for days, I couldn't get my head around it. Your uncle James said to me, Whatever you want to do I'll support you, as soon as the words were out his mouth straight away I said, there is no decision to make, Haydon didn't go through all he went through for me to do something about this, life is too precious. He said good as I was thinking the same. This will carry on forever, you having an impact on my decisions.

You truly were a Super Hero who touched each & every one of us in a different way. I know you've been dropping by to tell us you are close, please keep on showing us signs as it’s such a comfort to know you are still around. Sleep tight angel xxxxxxxxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment